Packard Motor Car Company
The Packard Motor Car Company, which built Detroit's first, and for many years most prestigious, luxury cars, built of 1.5 million vehicles on this site from 1903 to 1954. The factory complex, designed by Albert Kahn, included the city's first use of reinforced concrete for industrial construction. At its opening, it was considered the most modern automobile manufacturing facility in the world. Its skilled craftsmen practiced over eighty trades.