Pointe aux Barques Lighthouse
The Pointe aux Barques Lighthouse and Lifesaving Station aided mariners for over a century, beginning in 1847. That year the U.S. Lighthouse Service built the first lighthouse on this site to mark the turning point of Lake Huron into Saginaw Bay and to warn of the shallow waters. Catherine Shook became Michigan's first female light keeper when she took over for her husband, Peter, after he drowned in 1849. In 1857 the lighthouse and dwelling were replaced with the present 89-foot tower and attached house. In 1908, the brick assistant keeper's house was built. The lighthouse was fully automated in 1934. Five years later the last keeper retired, and the lifesaving station, made up of 15 buildings was decommissioned.