This school, Baptist in origin, was chartered in 1833 by the Territory of Michigan as the Michigan and Huron Institute and held its first classes in 1836. Instruction of college level has been given here longer than at any other Michigan school. In 1845 the present campus was purchased. The right to confer degrees was granted in 1855. This pioneer school has won national renown as a liberal arts college with special honor in teaching of the sciences.