According to an 1877 county history, St. Joseph County donated these plots of land to Centreville as a cemetery in 1833 under the condition that a white picket fence be built around the site. Margaret Langley (1804-1850), who arrived with her husband, Thomas, and family in 1832 to establish the community of Centreville, is buried here. Most of the graves date from the nineteenth century. They include those of early village citizens, local government leaders and several Civil War veterans. The last burial occurred in August 1971.