Commerce United Methodist Church
A Methodist Episcopal class, which later became a church society, was organized in Commerce in 1838. For many years, it was part of the Farmington Circuit. The Reverend Daniel C. Jacokes was the church's first circuit minister. Religious meetings were held in a schoolhouse until the society erected its first church in 1842. In 1854 Commerce, with its seventy-one members, was made the head of the circuit. The congregation organized a Sunday School in 1855 and an Epworth League for youth in 1891. The Ladies Aid Society, organized in 1885, hosted maple sugar and lawn socials to supplement its dues of five cents a month. By 1915 the local Presbyterian and Baptist congregations had disbanded, leaving the Methodist society as the sole church in Commerce.