Lewis Cass, governor of the Territory, approved a constitution for the First Methodist Episcopal Society May 17, 1822. This church, a direct successor, was designed by Gordon W. Lloyd
. It was completed in 1867 by the combined efforts of the First Methodist Episcopal Church and the Congress Street Society. When Woodward Avenue was widened in 1936, a thirty-foot section was removed from the nave, and the front and tower were subsequently relocated. The sanctuary was then rededicated. The stained glass windows were installed in 1955. Maintaining the tradition of an open door and free pulpit, Central United Methodist Church has been called "the conscience of a city."