Grand Trunk Depot
Constructed in 1902, this castle-like building with its square tower was the Lansing station for the Grand Trunk Western Railroad until 1971. For decades passengers streamed through its doors. Here servicemen left and returned from military duty. Children and adults alike associated this depot with the excitement of travel and vacations. This city's joys and sorrows were reflected in this rail station; greetings and good-byes were the most vital ingredients. But gradually rail travel ebbed. Renovated as a restaurant in 1972, the building's exterior remains unchanged. Gerald R. Ford from Michigan, the thirty-eighth president of the United States, dined here during a "whistle-stop" campaign tour on May 15, 1976.