This depot and substation served the Grand Rapids, Grand Haven & Muskegon Railway, an electric interurban railroad that operated from 1902 to 1928. A third rail in country and an overhead wire in cities supplied the trains power. Frequent runs made travel possible between cities and outlying communities. The rising popularity of automobiles resulted in the decline of interurbans. The depot is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.