The Stuart House
This historic house was built in 1858 for United States Senator Charles E. Stuart. As one of the leading lawyers and Democratic politicians of his day, Stuart naturally desired a house befitting his position. Thus it included tile and marble from Italy, stenciled and wood-paneled walls, tiffany light fixtures, a great ballroom and Kalamazoo's first indoor bathroom! Stables and beautiful gardens were found on the estate. Stuart died in 1887. The Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity acquired the house in 1956.