This tavern was built around 1832. Stagecoach passengers stopped here for lodging and food as they traveled between Detroit and Chicago on the Chicago Road
(later US-12) and on the La Plaisance Bay Pike
(later M-50) from Lake Erie to this intersection, Cambridge Junction. A stagecoach trip between Detroit and Chicago took five on more days, depending on road conditions. New settlers, who were among those travelers, helped Michigan become a state in 1837. In 1832 tavernkeepers Sylvester (1795-1868) and Lucy Walker (1796-1892), from Cooperstown, New York bought the tavern from Calvin Snell and it became known as the "Walker Tavern." The Walkers charged twenty-five cents for a meal. By 1853 business was so successful that the Walkers built a large brick tavern across the road.